We are so proud of all the children for working so hard this term and settling back into school so well. They are a pleasure to have in our classes. Earlier in the week, we added Phonics words lists to show wh and qu words which the children have been learning this week. Here are the other sounds your child has learned in class with the word lists included for each group. So far, we have learned sh, th, ch, wh and qu. When possible, please support your child to read and write these words. More photographs of learning to follow after or October break.
Below are some examples of different ways to practise reading and writing these sounds at home.
- Word detectives – try to find as many words as you can from your list in books. Write down any words you find.
- Rainbow write – use three colours to practise writing your words on paper. Try to write over your word three times to create rainbow words.
- Bubble words – Write your words in bubble writing and colour them.
- Word hunt – write your words on small pieces of paper and ask an adult to hide them around the house. Try to find your words and read them aloud when you find them.
- Sugar words – pour sugar on to a plate and use a straw to practise writing your words in the sugar.
- Anagrams – ask an adult at home to write your words with the letters mixed up. Unscramble the words to write them correctly e.g. ipsh – ship.
- Bake a cake and practise writing your words on the cake with icing.
- Phonics interactive game – Fishy Phonics. Link below. Or https://www.phonicsbloom.com/uk/game/fishy-phonics?phase=2
Thank you for your continued support and have a lovely October break.
Miss Marra and Miss Walkingshaw